Cask of Amontillado Essay PromptsDownload PDF
Excerpt From This Document
“The Cask of Amontillado” Essay Options
Choose one of the essay options below, and write a well-organized paper answering the prompt (question). You must write at least 1 page (the front side of one piece of paper).
- The descriptive details used in “The Cask of Amontillado” create a specific mood. Write an essay describing what that mood is, which key details create it, and in which scenes that mood is most strongly expressed.
- Consider the many details given about Montresor: the way he is dressed, his family name, his coat of arms, and family motto. Explain what significance each of these details has to the story.
- Montresor places a great deal of importance on “connoisseurship,” or being an expert at something. Explain how he plans his revenge on Fortunato like an expert. Support your argument by giving at least 3 examples of how he plays with Fortunato, his victim, or examples showing how much he enjoys his revenge.
- Fortunato is dressed like a fool, and Montresor wears a “mask of black silk.” Explain why these costumes are appropriate for the roles they play in the story. Use details from the story to support your opinion.
- Reread Montresor’s description of Fortunato toward the beginning of the story. According to Montresor, in what ways is Frtunato a “respectable” man? In what ways is he a “quack”? What kind of person do you think he is? Why? Support yourself with details from the story.
About this Document
5 analytical essay prompts for the short story. Designed for college prep 9th grade courses.