Questions and Answers: Part 2 (Fiat Lux), Chapter 20
1. Who takes the eighth place at the table?
2. What did Poet intend to do with his goat?
3. Why does Paulo have Poet leave the table?
4. What is Esser Shon trying to do?
5. Why does Paulo disapprove of Taddeo’s refusal to oppose Hannegan II’s military ambitions?
1. Poet takes the eighth place at the table.
2. Poet intended to give the goat to Taddeo. However, Poet says this goat would serve as a scapegoat absolving Taddeo of responsibility for his actions.
3. Dom Paulo has Poet leave the table because he mentions that the officers are drawing the abbey’s fortifications. Poet thereby brings to the forefront the underlying conflicts between the abbey and Taddeo.
4. Esser Shon is trying to make living protoplasm from six basic ingredients.
5. Dom Paulo disapproves of Taddeo’s refusal to oppose Hannegan II’s military ambitions because he thinks Taddeo has ignored his own conscience and moral responsibility. Dom Paulo maintains that Taddeo should not support Hannegan II if he disagrees with Hannegan II’s actions.