Questions and Answers: Part 2 (Fiat Lux), Chapters 14-15
1. Why was the vaulted basement built?
2. What provides the power to make Kornhoer’s lamp work?
3. Why does the abbey decide to keep chains on its books?
4. Why is Hongan Os, or Mad Bear, known as being merciful?
5. Why does Taddeo say the abbey will let him examine its books?
1. The vaulted basement was built to protect the Memorabilia from nomads, who would have destroyed the books, and crusaders, who would have burned them because they thought they were heretical.
2. The dynamo provides the power to make Kornhoer’s lamp work.
3. The abbey decides to keep chains on its books to help keep the village from taking the books for its own library. Because literacy is now valued, old books such as the abbey’s are especially prized.
4. Hongan Os, or Mad Bear, is considered to be merciful because he never mistreats horses, though the same can not be said of his treatment of humans.
5. Taddeo says the abbey will let him examine its books; otherwise the collegium could simply seize them from the abbey. If it did seize the books, the collegium would be backed by the power of the Texarkana empire.