Questions and Answers: Part 1 (Fiat Homo), Chapters 6-7
1. Why did survivors of the nuclear war kill professional workers, such as scientists and teachers?
2. What was the initial habit of Leibowitz’s religious community?
3. What does Brother Sarl do for his side project?
4. What does Francis think electronics was?
5. What are the benefits to Francis of realizing that the blueprint he’s copying is itself a copy?
1. Survivors of the nuclear war killed professional workers because they were blamed for the war. Survivors of the war also thought they could avert another war in the future by killing the professionals.
2. The initial habit of Leibowitz’s religious community was burlap rags and bindlestiffs. The habit was intended to help members blend in with the Simpletons.
3. Brother Sarl’s side project is to try to restore fragments of Memorabilia texts.
4. Francis thinks electronics was the study of electrons. However, he is not sure just what an electron was.
5. Francis will save some effort and be able to keep his project hidden by realizing that the blueprint he’s copying is itself a copy.