12: The Wife of Bath's Tale Questions and Answers
1. At what age was the Wife of Bath first married?
2. Name two arguments that the Wife uses in her defense of the married state.
3. What is the Wife's "philosophy" of marriage?
4. How has the Wife changed as she has aged?
5. In what way were her fourth and fifth husbands different from the first three?
6. What ongoing argument begins in this prologue?
7. What type of tale does the Wife tell?
8. For what crime is the young knight being punished?
9. Why is it fitting that this tale should be told by the Wife of Bath?
10. How does the ending of the story reconcile with the Wife's philosophy?
1. The Wife of Bath was 12 when she first married.
(The entire section is 240 words.)