Questions and Answers Chapter 6: Red Cloud's War
1. Why did Colonel Maynadier deploy Indians to Powder River, and who were the Indians he deployed?
2. Why did Red Cloud decide to wait to sign the treaty?
3. What sparked the Sioux’s confrontation with the Army?
4. What was the Indians’ strategy against the Army?
5. What were the end results of Red Cloud’s war?
1. The Indians were deployed because whites weren’t willing to go. The five Sioux he sent were Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow.
2. Waiting allowed him time to send runners to other tribes and time to gather beaver pelts and buffalo hides for trade.
3. The Sioux confronted the Army after the Army decided to build the road through the Powder River country without concern for the treaty it had signed.
4. The Indians strategy was to band together, isolate the Army soldiers, and then mount an attack on Fort Phil Kearny.
5. Red Cloud's war resulted in Powder River road being closed, the Army forts being abandoned, and both the U.S. and the Indians pledging to keep peace.