Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 119
1. What was the name of the first fort the Army erected on Navaho lands?
2. Why did the Navahos attack the fort’s soldiers?
3. What sparked the Army’s massacre of the Navahos?
4. What did General Carleton say the Navahos must do to achieve peace?
5. How is General Carleton described?
1. Fort Defiance
2. To replace their horses and mules that had been shot by a company of mounted soldiers.
3. A disputed horse race between Manuelito, riding on his pony, and a lieutenant, riding his quarter horse.
4. Obey the Army’s orders for them to go to the Bosque Redondo reservation.
5. Brown describes Carleton as having a hairy face and fierce eyes with a “mouth … a man without humor.”
Cite this page as follows:
"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Questions and Answers Chapter 2: The Long Walk of the Navahos" eNotes Publishing Ed. eNotes Editorial. eNotes.com, Inc. eNotes.com 27 Sep. 2023 <https://www.enotes.com/topics/bury-heart-wounded-knee/quiz/questions-answers-chapter-2-long-walk-navahos>
Note: When citing an online source, it is important to include all necessary dates. The citation above will include either 2 or 3 dates.
- If there are three dates, the first date is the date of the original publication in traditional print. The second is the date of publication online or last modification online. The last date is today's date — the date you are citing the material.
- If there are two dates, the date of publication and appearance online is the same, and will be the first date in the citation. The second date is today's date — the date you are citing the material.
See eNotes Ad-Free
Start your 48-hour free trial to get access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.