Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 124
1. How did the Nez Percés get their name?
2. What damages did white settlers inflict on the Nez Percés?
3. What move did General Howard make against the Nez Percés?
4. What was the Nez-Percé’s strategy?
5. Where were the Nez Percés sent?
1. The French saw that some of them wore dentalium shells in their noses.
2. Gold miners stole their horses, and cattlemen stole and branded their cattle.
3. Howard arrested the prophet Toohoolhoolzote and ordered the tribe to move to the Lapwai reservation within 30 days.
4. The Nez Percés decided to flee to Canada in order to avoid the Army’s soldiers.
5. The Nez-Percé tribe was sent to Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, then to a plain in the Indian Territory.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support