Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 159
1. What did the treaty of Medicine Lodge grant the Kiowas?
2. What was Kicking Bird’s response to taunts from the warriors?
3. How did the Kiowas respond to the convictions of their two leaders?
4. What happened at the sun dance of 1874?
5. Why did Sherman bring Satanta back to jail?
1. The treaty granted the Kiowa territory and the right to hunt south of the Arkansas River if there were enough buffalo “to justify the chase.”
2. In response to the taunts, Kicking Bird took 100 warriors, launched an attack on a mail coach, and won a fight with Army soldiers.
3. The Kiowas took care to avoid whites while they followed buffalo between the Red and Canadian Rivers, and they made winter camp in Palo Duro Canyon.
4. The Kiowas and Comanches agreed at the sun dance to fight together to push the whites off the buffalos’ grazing land.
5. Sherman returned Satanta to jail after Satanta had defied Sherman and the Army.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support