Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 129
1. Why did the Modocs adapt the nickname of Captain Jack for Kintpuash?
2. Why did the whites want Jack to lay down his gun?
3. Why did the Modocs surrender?
4. Why did Hooker Jim’s band leave Captain Jack?
5. What happened to Jack’s body?
1. The Modocs thought “Captain Jack” was a funny name.
2. Because Captain Jack was chief, the whites believed that his example would be followed by others in his tribe.
3. The Modoc tribe had been promised that the murderers of the white settlers would merely be kept on a reservation to the south.
4. Hooker Jim disagreed with Jack’s strategy, and he sought to betray him and thereby gain freedom.
5. Jack's body was embalmed in Yreka, then sent to the East as a carnival attraction.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support