Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 290
1. In what type of housing are the lower castes? How are Alphas and Betas housed?
2. What is done with the dead in the New World?
3. How does Lenina demonstrate that her childhood conditioning has been effective?
4. What does Lenina ask Henry about as she is getting ready to sleep with him?
5. When must Bernard attend his Solidarity meetings?
6. How many people are in each Solidarity Group? How are they seated?
7. Why is Bernard unhappy about sitting next to Morgana Rothschild?
8. What ritual is performed during the First Solidarity Hymn?
9. How does the Solidarity Group meeting end?
10. How does Bernard feel after the meeting?
1. The lower castes are housed in barracks, while the Alphas and Betas are on the other side of a wall in separate houses.
2. The dead are taken to the Crematorium where the bodies are burned and any valuable chemicals are recovered.
3. As Lenina flies over the lower-caste barracks, she repeats the conditioned phrases about other caste colors being ugly and how glad she is to be a Beta.
4. Lenina tells Henry how much Fanny admired her Malthusian belt and wonders where Henry bought it.
5. Bernard and everyone else must attend Solidarity Group meetings every other week. His day is Thursday.
6. There are 12 people in each Solidarity Group and they must sit man, woman, man, woman, around a circular table.
7. Morgana’s heavy black eyebrows meet over her nose and this is very distasteful to Bernard.
8. During the First Solidarity Hymn, soma tablets and ice cream are passed from person to person.
9. Solidarity Group always ends with dancing, chanting, and the six men and six women pairing off for sex.
10. Bernard feels none of the contentment and release that Solidarity Group is supposed to provide.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support