Brave New World vs. Gattaca Movie Viewing Guide
by Michael Stultz, M.A.
- Release Date: February 12, 2019
- Subjects: Language Arts
- Age Levels: Grade 12
- Pre-viewing question: If you and your husband/wife could pre-design your child to be “genetically superior” to most others, would you? What traits would you enhance?
- How are Vincent and Anton different genetically?
- What are “faith babies”?
- What is an “in-valid”?
- List 3 ways that the society portrayed in the movie routinely “reads” a person’s genetic profile.
- What two major surgeries did Vincent have to enhance his genetic “imperfections?”
- List three things Vincent did on a daily basis to maintain his “Jerome” identity.
- Who is murdered in this film? Why?
- What evidence pointed towards an “in-valid” as the murderer?
- Describe the different attitudes Vincent and Irene have toward their imperfections.
- What ultimately happened to Anton? Why?
- Is Gattaca, like Brave New World, satire? If so, who/what is the main target?
Compare the plot, characters, and themes of the novel and the film.