AUTUMN: Chapter 1 Questions and Answers
1. Why do Claudia and Frieda beat up Rosemary, and what does Rosemary offer as an apology?
2. What does Claudia do once she falls ill?
3. How does Claudia describe Mr. Henry when she first meets him?
4. What game does Mr. Henry play with Claudia and Frieda when he first sees them?
5. What does Frieda and Claudia’s Mama mean when she says that a “case” is coming to live with them?
6. According to Claudia, what is the difference between being put out and being put outdoors?
7. Where is the rest of the Breedlove family while Pecola is at Claudia’s house?
8. Why does Mama complain about “folks” when she knows that Pecola drank three quarts of milk?
9. Why does Frieda ask Claudia to bring “lots of water”?
10. What does Claudia think will happen when she hears water running in the bathtub?
1. Rosemary asks the girls if they want to humiliate her by taking down her pants, and the girls show how strong they are by refusing to do so.
2. Claudia lies in bed while Frieda blocks the window with stockings. Claudia lies completely still in order to stay in the spot that she has made warm. After about an hour, her mother comes in and rubs salve on her chest. After she makes Claudia swallow a bit of the salve, her mother than wraps her in a flannel and puts a heavy...
(The entire section is 446 words.)