Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 187
• Look for two other existential poets and compare their works to that of Vallejo. What are the common themes among these poets? List and describe these themes and note the different ways that each poet finds to express the same theme.
• Which elements of modernism can be found in “The Black Heralds”? Identify the characteristics of modernism and then discuss whether it is possible to assess meter and rhythm when working with a translation.
• Write a biographical analysis of Vallejo’s reason for leaving Peru. Did he find what he was seeking in Paris? How did living in Paris affect his life and works? Justify your answers with specifics.
• What was it about communism that attracted Vallejo? What was in his background, education, or lifestyle that led him to communism? Why did he travel to Russia and involve himself in the Spanish Civil War? Write an essay explaining the relationship of Vallejo to communism.
• Besides poetry, Vallejo wrote journalistic articles, short stories, essays, and novels. Put together a list of his other works and discuss their impact and value in the body of his life’s work.