Chapters 28-29 Questions and Answers
1. What sound is heard from the crew at the moment of Billy’s burial?
2. What is the reaction of the authorities to the low murmur?
3. How does the crew respond to the authorities?
4. What serves as Billy’s coffin?
5. How does the crew behave at Billy’s burial?
6. What is the significance of the sea fowl on the crew?
7. What is the outcome of the battle between the Atheiste and the Indomitable?
8. What happens to Captain Vere in that battle?
9. Where does Captain Vere die?
10. What are Captain Vere’s last words?
1. A low murmur is heard from the crew at the moment of Billy’s burial.
2. The boatswain and his mates blow whistles to “pipe down” the men.
3. The crew disperses.
4. Billy’s hammock, weighted down with shot, serves as his canvas coffin.
5. The crew again begins a low murmur.
6. The seamen are superstitious, and they take the sea fowl as some sort of omen.
7. The Indomitable is victorious
8. Captain Vere is seriously wounded.
9. He dies at Gibraltar.
10. His last words are, “Billy Budd, Billy Budd.”