Lines 1,251–1,650 Questions and Answers
1. What happens the first night the Danes return to sleep in Herot?
2. Why does Grendel’s mother flee from Herot?
3. Why does Hrothgar send for Beowulf?
4. How does Beowulf respond to Hrothgar’s request?
5. Where does Hrothgar lead Beowulf?
6. How may the lake containing Grendel’s mother and her lair be described?
7. Why is Beowulf careful to wear his armor?
8. How does Unferth’s behavior toward Beowulf change now?
9. How does Beowulf attempt to save his life when he realizes his weapons and helmet are ineffective?
10. What are Hrothgar and his soldiers doing while Beowulf battles Grendel’s mother?
1. The first night the Danes sleep in Herot after 12 years of avoiding the hall because of Grendel’s attacks, his mother—seeking revenge for the murder of her son—mounts her own attack.
2. Grendel’s mother flees Herot since she is vastly outnumbered by the Danish soldiers, who are not only using their shields to protect themselves against her attack, but their swords in a counter-attack upon her. She realizes she cannot win this battle and runs for her life, taking Esher and Grendel’s claw with her.
3. Hrothgar sends for Beowulf to ask him to, once again, rid Herot of the monster—in this case, Grendel’s mother.
4. Beowulf tells...
(The entire section is 561 words.)