Pages 43–64: Questions and Answers
1. Why does Paul D object to Sethe’s apologizing for Denver’s behavior toward him?
2. Why does Sethe say she would choose Denver over Paul D if it came to that?
3. How does Beloved get to the stump near 124 Bluestone Road?
4. Why doesn’t Paul D press Beloved for more information after she gives her name?
5. What indications do we have that Beloved has become attached to Sethe?
6. How had Sethe obtained her crystal earrings?
7. Why had Sethe made her own “bedding” dress?
8. What materials did Sethe use to make the dress?
9. What does Sethe remember about her mother?
10. What had Nan told Sethe about her mother?
1. Paul D objects to Sethe apologizing to him for Denver’s behavior because he feels Denver is a grown woman and another can’t apologize for her. He wants Sethe to treat Denver as a grown woman.
2. Sethe says she would chose Denver over Paul D if it came to that because Denver is her child, no matter how old, and she feels a mother must always protect her child.
3. Beloved gets to the stump near 124 Bluestone Road by walking out of the stream behind the woods, resting that day and night, then spending the next day going through the woods to the field and eventually into the yard.
4. Paul D doesn’t press Beloved for more information after she...
(The entire section is 562 words.)