Pages 218–238: Questions and Answers
1. How had schoolteacher changed life at Sweet Home?
2. What had been their plan for escape from slavery?
3. Why hadn’t Thirty-Mile Woman been caught?
4. Why had Sixo been burned and then shot to death?
5. How had Paul D been tortured when he was captured?
6. What does the white stranger tell the two men sitting on the church steps?
7. Why does Stamp Paid apologize to Paul D?
8. Why had Stamp Paid changed his name from Joshua?
9. Why had Stamp Paid gone to see the young master’s wife?
10. What does the red ribbon signify for Stamp Paid?
(The entire section is 603 words.)