Pages 169–199: Questions and Answers
1. How had the community conducted itself when Baby Suggs died?
2. Why wasn’t Stamp Paid used to knocking on the doors of the community?
3. What are Sethe, Denver, and Beloved doing when Beloved begins to hum the song she couldn’t know?
4. Why does Stamp Paid suddenly understand Baby Suggs’ indifference to the world once she’d decided to die?
5. What does Sethe realize about the shadows she had seen at the carnival?
6. What does Sethe remember of the efforts to save her life?
7. Why is Stamp Paid outraged when Ella tells him that Paul D is sleeping in the basement of the church?
8. Why does Sethe pilfer from...
(The entire section is 572 words.)