Chapter 26 Questions and Answers
1. Why does Edna deliberate over how to answer Alcee’s apology?
2. Why is it so easy for Alcee to become intimate with Edna?
3. Why does Edna visit Mademoiselle Reisz?
4. Why do you think Mademoiselle Reisz is always eating or drinking chocolate?
5. What reason does Edna give for moving out of her house?
6. How does Edna have the money to be on her own?
7. What is Edna’s big resolve?
8. Why does Edna sigh after announcing her farewell dinner party?
9. What good news does Edna find out from Mademoiselle Reisz?
10. Why does Edna send a box of candy to her children?
1. Edna doesn’t want to give it undue importance, and she doesn’t want him to think she took it seriously.
2. He appeals to the sexual self that is awakening inside her.
3. Mademoiselle Reisz, through her music, touches Edna’s spirit and makes her feel free and hopeful.
4. Her life is bitter and alone, and chocolate is sweet.
5. She wants a place that is her own, not provided for by her husband.
6. She has been winning a lot of money at the track and selling some of her paintings. Additionally, she has a small inheritance from her mother.
7. She vows that she will never again belong to another person.
8. It is clear to her that she has never really been happy.
9. She learns that Robert loves her and that he is coming home soon.
10. When Edna is happy, she feels more loving toward her children.