Chapter 22 Questions and Answers
1. What kind of doctor is Dr. Mandelet?
2. Why does Leonce go to see Dr. Mandelet?
3. What is Edna’s problem as Leonce describes it?
4. How is this most affecting Leonce?
5. What are Dr. Mandelet’s first thoughts on Edna’s problem?
6. Why does he finally get concerned?
7. Why won’t Edna go to her sister’s upcoming wedding?
8. What does Dr. Mandelet attribute Edna’s problem to?
9. Why does Leonce invite Dr. Mandelet to dinner?
10. What is Dr. Mandelet’s fear about Edna?
1. He is a semi-retired physician, known more for wisdom than skill.
2. He is worried about Edna.
3. She is suddenly concerned with women’s rights and is therefore neglecting her family.
4. Edna has stopped sleeping with him.
5. He wonders if she has been associating with a certain group of pseudointellectual women who might be putting ideas in her head.
6. Leonce tells him that she has been isolating, giving up her social ties.
7. She says that weddings are “one of the most lamentable spectacles on earth.”
8. He says that women tend to get moody and whimsical and that this latest “mood” would probably pass.
9. He wants Dr. Mandelet to observe Edna firsthand.
10. He is afraid that there is another man involved in the picture.