Chapter 2 Questions and Answers
1. How does Edna look at objects?
2. How does Edna’s appearance differ from other women?
3. What about Robert’s appearance makes him seem immature?
4. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
5. How do we see the intimacy between Robert and Edna at this point?
6. Why does Robert want to go to Mexico?
7. Why does Madame Lebrun take in guests?
8. How is Edna’s background different from the other guests at Grand Isle?
9. What is Edna’s sister doing in the East?
10. Why does Robert assume Leonce wouldn’t be coming home for dinner?
1. She looks at them as if she were lost in contemplation or thought.
2. Edna is handsome rather than pretty.
3. He is clean shaven and has no shadow of care.
4. He smokes cigarettes because he can’t afford cigars.
5. They both chat incessantly and each is interested in what the other has to say.
6. He wants to make his fortune there.
7. She needs to so she can keep up her easy, comfortable lifestyle.
8. She is truly American, and any French has been lost in dilution. The other guests are all French Creole.
9. She is engaged to be married.
10. He assumes that because there were a good many New Orleans clubmen over at Klein’s.