Chapter 11 Questions and Answers
1. Where does Leonce find Edna when he returns to the cottage?
2. What does Leonce say to her?
3. What would Edna normally have done in this situation?
4. What is different about this night?
5. How does Leonce respond to Edna’s refusal to obey him?
6. How long is Leonce preparing to stay outside.
7. How does Edna feel when she realizes Leonce is staying outside with her?
8. Why does Edna go back inside?
9. What does Leonce do after Edna goes inside?
10. Who is the winner in this battle between Edna and Leonce?
1. She is lying in the hammock on the front porch.
2. He demands that she come inside.
3. She would have given in to Leonce out of habit.
4. Edna’s will had blazed up, stubborn and resistant.
5. He put something on over his pajamas and went outside with a cigar and a glass of wine.
6. He is prepared to stay outside as long as Edna does.
7. She feels like she had awakened from a delicious dream to the ugly realities of her life.
8. The exultation she felt is gone, and she feels helpless and tired.
9. He stays outside to finish his cigar.
10. Leonce wins because Edna feels forced by her crushed spirit to finally go inside.