Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 208
1. How does Ella feel when Malcolm quits his shoe-shining job? Why?
2. What is Shorty’s career goal?
3. What does Malcolm do the day after he quits his shoe-shining job?
4. Where does Malcolm work as a soda fountain clerk?
5. Where do Malcolm and Laura go on their first date?
6. What band is playing the second time Laura and Malcolm go to Roseland?
7. Where do Sophia and Malcolm go on dates?
8. What is a “rubber”?
9. How does Shorty feel about Sophia?
10. How does Ella feel about Sophia?
1. Ella is glad when Malcolm quits his shoe-shining job because she feels that the job had no prestige.
2. Shorty wants to start his own musical group and perform around Boston.
3. The day after he quits his shoe-shining job, Malcolm buys another zoot suit and gets his first barbershop conk.
4. Malcolm is a soda fountain clerk at Townsend Drug Store.
5. Malcolm and Laura go to a dance at the Roseland Ballroom on their first date.
6. The Duke Ellington band is playing the second time Laura and Malcolm go to Roseland.
7. Sophia and Malcolm go to dances and bars around Roxbury.
8. A rubber is a slang word for a car.
9. Shorty likes Sophia very much.
10. Ella does not like Sophia at all.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support