Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 323
1. How long does it take Ella to decide to convert to Islam?
2. What does Shorty do for a living?
3. What is the City of Brotherly Love?
4. What is the Muslims’ strict moral code?
5. When Malcolm conducts a funeral service, he explains that no tears are shed, and there are no flowers, singing, or organ-playing. What explanation does he offer for this?
6. What is the Muslim Temple’s Unity Night?
7. Describe the problem Betty X has with her foster parents.
8. Where do Malcolm and Betty get married?
9. How many children do Malcolm and Betty have? Name them.
10. What is the outcome of Brother Hinton’s injuries?
1. It takes Ella five years to decide to convert to Islam.
2. Shorty has a little band in Boston.
3. The City of Brotherly Love is Philadelphia.
4. The Muslims’ strict moral code forbids fornication, pork, tobacco, alcohol, and narcotics. Dancing, attending movies or sports games, taking long vacations, lying, stealing, and insubordination to civil authority are also forbidden. Domestic quarreling and discourtesy—especially to women—are not allowed.
5. Malcolm explains that the reason there are no tears, flowers, or music during a funeral service is because these were things that people gave to the deceased when he was alive. Now, there is no need for these things, since the deceased is not aware of anything. The money that would be spent for these items should go to the family instead.
6. The Muslims’ Unity Night, on Tuesday nights, is an opportunity for Muslim brothers and sisters to enjoy each other’s company and have refreshments.
7. Betty X’s foster parents were against her association with the Muslims, and threatened to stop financing her nursing education.
8. Malcolm and Betty get married in Lansing, Michigan.
9. Malcolm and Betty have four daughters—Attilah, Qubilah, Ilyasah, and Amilah.
10. As a result of his injuries, Brother Hinton has a steel plate in his skull. In addition, he sues the police and is awarded $70,000.