Unit 4 Questions and Answers
1. What does Cora believe was the relationship between Addie and Reverend Whitfield?
2. Where does Addie go when school lets out?
3. How does Addie feel about her father?
4. Are we sure Addie’s kin are dead?
5. Who does Whitfield credit for Addie’s not confessing about their affair?
6. What kind of doctoring does Uncle Billy usually practice?
7. Why doesn’t Vardaman come in to dinner at Armstid’s house?
8. What does Moseley suggest Dewey Dell use the ten dollars for?
9. How many days has Addie been dead by the time the family arrives in Mottson?
10. What is Cash’s reaction to Anse’s suggestion that they cover his broken leg with a cement cast?
1. Cora believes that Whitfield wanted to wrestle with Addie’s spirit and fight the “vanity in her mortal heart” in order to save her soul.
2. Addie heads down the hill to the spring where it smells of damp, rotting leaves and fresh dirt.
3. She hates her father for having “planted” her.
4. Addie tells Anse that they are in the cemetery, and we assume that she means they are dead.
5. Whitfield says that God, in his infinite wisdom, restrained her from telling her family about her sin.
6. Uncle Billy usually takes care of horses or mules.
7. He stays out in the yard chasing the buzzards away from Addie’s casket.
8. Moseley says that he would never sell such medicine. He tells her to find Lafe and use the ten dollars to buy a wedding license.
9. Someone in Mottson says that Addie has been dead for eight days.
10. Cash seems to want to wait until they get to Jefferson, where a doctor could look at it. However, Anse reminds him that they already spent the money on the cement and pressures Cash into letting them do it.