Unit 1 Questions and Answers
1. Why are Cora and Vernon Tull, Kate, and Eula at the Bundren house?
2. What reason does Anse give for not working?
3. How do we know Cora Tull is not a reliable narrator?
4. How does Dewey Dell explain why she got pregnant?
5. What reason does Tull give for people continuing to help Anse out?
6. Who is Anse’s main concern?
7. Why is Peabody upset at being called to the Bundren’s farm?
8. Why didn’t Anse send for Peabody sooner?
9. What is the function of the italicized sections in Darl’s narratives?
10. What are Anse’s and Dewey Dell’s actual motives for getting to Jefferson?
1. They are being neighborly by helping Anse Bundren and watching by Addie Bundren’s deathbed.
2. Anse does not dare to work because, over 20 years ago, he became sick from working in the sun too long. He now believes that if he works, he might sweat and die.
3. Cora believes that Darl is Addie’s favorite and that Jewel does not care for her. However, just before her narrative, we see that Darl and Anse were less concerned with being at Addie’s deathbed than Jewel was.
4. Dewey Dell says she could not help it. Whether or not she went with Lafe into the shady grove depended upon whether or not her cotton sack was full. She blames fate, not herself....
(The entire section is 418 words.)