Questions and Answers: Chapter 15
1. What is “animal row”?
2. What is Deckard’s reaction to buying a goat?
3. What is Iran’s reaction to the goat?
4. Why does Iran want to use the empathy box?
5. Why does Deckard use the empathy box?
1. Animal Row is the area of town that has many different animal shops displaying their selections of real animals.
2. Deckard’s morale is lifted when he buys a goat. Owning a real animal helps Deckard to forget about the contradiction inherent to his job as a bounty hunter.
3. Iran is excited about Deckard's goat, and then decides that they need to share their excitement with others by using the empathy box.
4. Iran wants to use the empathy box because she has become dependent upon it for companionship and for the chance to experience other people’s emotional responses to various life experiences.
5. Deckard uses the empathy box to resolve his personal conflict with what he is required to do as a bounty hunter and his beliefs in Mercerism.