Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 295
• Ginzburg grew up during the years of Mussolini’s rise to power in Italy. Learn more about Mussolini and the fascist era in Italy. What was the course of Mussolini’s political career leading up to his position as a fascist dictator? What was the response of the Italian people to...
(The entire section contains 295 words.)
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this The Advertisement study guide. You'll get access to all of the The Advertisement content, as well as access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.
- Act Summaries
- Critical Essays
- Teaching Guide
• Ginzburg grew up during the years of Mussolini’s rise to power in Italy. Learn more about Mussolini and the fascist era in Italy. What was the course of Mussolini’s political career leading up to his position as a fascist dictator? What was the response of the Italian people to fascism? What changes did Mussolini effect in Italian politics, society, and economy during the 1920s and 1930s? Are any of these changes evident today?
• Learn more about the role of Italy in World War II. How did Italy come to be allied with Nazi Germany? What was the relationship between Hitler and Mussolini? How did the Italian-German alliance change and develop over the course of the war? What part did Italy play in the events of World War II? How was Italy affected by the Allied invasion of Sicily and the final years of the war?
• Important Italian playwrights of the twentieth century include Luigi Pirandello and Dario Fo, both of whom were awarded Nobel Prizes in literature. Pick one of these authors and learn more about his life, career, and major plays. What central themes does he explore in his plays? What social or political issues does he address? How were his plays innovative and experimental in form? How did the Italian public, Italian government, and international audiences receive his plays?
• In The Advertisement, Teresa works briefly as an extra in the Italian film industry, which was concentrated in the Cinecittà during the period in which this play was written. Learn more about the Italian film industry in the post-World War II era. What developments took place in Italian cinema during this period? Who were some of the major directors and actors? What were some of the important films of the postwar era?