Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Compare the character of Tom Sawyer as it is developed in Tom Sawyer with its presentation in Huckleberry Finn. What are some major differences? What accounts for them?
2. Survey some critical essays on the ending of Huckleberry Finn. Choose the explanation of the ending you think best and defend it.
3. Prepare a report on Twain's early life. What parts of his experience does he use in Huckleberry Finn?
4. Critics have defined the raft as a symbol of freedom. Prepare a report on the symbolism of Huck's raft, tracing how its significance is developed.
5. Huckleberry Finn is a humorous book. Classify and discuss several different types of humor it employs.
6. Prepare a report on a film, musical, or television version of Huckleberry Finn. How does this version compare with the original? What changes have been made? Why?