Chapters 12 and 13 Questions and Answers
1. What is a towhead?
2. After it gets dark Jim builds a protection from the rain. What does he build?
3. What is the “texas” part of a steamboat?
4. Why does Huck want to rescue the robbers on the wrecked steamboat?
5. Why does Huck wish Tom Sawyer could be with him to explore the wrecked steamboat?
6. What does Huck finally say to get action from the captain of the ferryboat?
7. What does Huck mean when he says “I lifted a chicken” and “borrowed a watermelon”?
8. What happens to the raft while Huck and Jim explore the wrecked steamboat?
9. Do they find the raft again?
10. What happened to the skiff at the end of Chapter 13?
1. A towhead is a sandbar that has a thick growth of cottonwoods on it.
2. Jim builds a wigwam in the center of the raft. He adds a place to build a fire in cool weather.
3. The “texas” on a steamboat contains the pilothouse and officers’ quarters.
4. Huck’s conscience bothers him after he takes their boat and leaves them to die.
5. Huck knows that Tom would add excitement and “style” to his adventure.
6. He tells him that the niece of the richest man in town is trapped on the wrecked steamboat.
7. Huck means that he stole them both, but rationalizes his actions by saying that it is not stealing if you intend to pay the owner back someday.
8. The raft has floated away in the storm and Huck and Jim are left stranded.
9. Yes. They catch up with the raft a few miles downstream.
10. Huck and Jim sank the skiff so there could be no incriminating evidence in connection with the robbers.