The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Characters
The main characters in The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian are Junior, Rowdy, Mary, Gordy, Penelope, Roger, and Junior's father and grandmother.
- Arnold "Junior" Spirit is an intelligent young Spokane Indian who transfers to Reardan in the hopes of receiving a better education.
- Rowdy is Junior's best friend, from whom he becomes estranged after transferring to Reardan.
- Mary is Junior's sister, who moves to Montana with her husband.
- Gordy, Penelope, and Roger are Junior's white friends from Reardan.
- Junior's grandmother is a beloved figure. When she is killed by a drunk driver, Junior is devastated.
- Junior's father is an often violent alcoholic.
The main character of this novel is Arnold “Junior” Spirit; the story is told through his first-person perspective. Junior is a full-blooded Native American and lives on the Spokane Indian Reservation with his mom, dad, and sister Mary. Junior’s grandmother lives close to his house, which is not far from where his grandmother’s parents were raised. The Spirit family’s roots run deep on this piece of land.
Junior’s father is often drunk and is many times absent from the family. He is not a mean drunk but rather a gentle man who is often depressed. Junior thinks if given a chance, his dad might have been a musician. His mom, he believes, would have become a teacher. Junior also thinks that his sister, Mary, would have been a writer. She liked to write romance novels. Junior’s grandmother is well-known and lived not only on the Spokane Reservation but on reservations all over the United States. She faithfully attended many Native American ceremonies (such as powwows) and was a very giving and loving person. Thousands of people...
(The entire section is 347 words.)