Topics for Discussion
1. How do the boys at Devon feel about the adults they know?
2. Why and how is the school and its setting important for Gene and the other boys at Devon?
3. What is the meaning of war for Gene and his friends? How does their attitude change? Does it affect all of the boys the same way?
4. How does the concept of friendship control and influence the lives of the boys at Devon?
5. Why does Gene fear the tree that Finny wants him to climb? How does his behavior in the tree reflect this fear?