Part 2, Chapter 3 Questions and Answers
- Where do Winston and Julia meet for their second tryst?
- What does Julia call the type of conversation she and Winston have while walking down the street together?
- What does Julia convince Winston to spend one evening a week doing?
- Where does Julia live?
- What subsection of the Fiction Department was Julia chosen to work in because of her good character?
- Why don’t Winston and Julia consider getting married?
- What does the Newspeak word goodthinkful mean?
- Why does the Party want to repress people’s sexual desires?
- What does Winston tell Julia he almost did on a summer afternoon eleven years ago?
- At the end of the chapter, what does Winston feel Julia is too young to understand?
- Winston and Julia meet in the ruins of a church in an abandoned part of the countryside where an atomic bomb fell thirty years before.
- Julia calls this type of conversation “talking by installments.”
- Julia convinces Winston to do part-time munition work, screwing bomb fuse parts together in a workshop.
- Julia lives in a hostel with thirty other women.
- Julia was chosen to work in Pornosec, a subsection nicknamed “Muck House,” producing cheap pornographic booklets to sell to proles.
- Winston and Julia don’t consider getting married for two reasons: Winston is still technically married, and a committee would never approve his marriage to Julia because the two are obviously attracted to one another.
- Goodthinkful means that someone is “naturally orthodox, incapable of thinking a bad thought.”
- The Party wants to repress people’s sexual desires so that they can channel that repressed energy into enthusiasm for their own ideology.
- Winston tells Julia that he almost pushed his wife Katharine over the edge of a cliff when the two got lost on a community hike.
- Winston feels Julia is too young to understand that happiness is impossible under the Party, that the only possible victory against the Party lies far in the future, and that the two of them should think of themselves as already dead because they have defied the party.