Last Updated on May 5, 2017, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 201
- What phrase appears on the posters in Winston Smith’s building?
- Through what instrument do the Thought Police watch people?
- Of what province of Oceania is London the “chief city”?
- What is the official language of Oceania?
- What are the three slogans of the Party?
- What are the four Ministries of the Party?
- Who is featured in every Two Minutes Hate?
- With what two countries is Oceania intermittently at war?
- What phrase does Winston write over and over in his diary?
- What is “the essential crime that contained all others in itself”?
- The phrase that appears on the posters is “BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.”
- The Thought Police watch people through the telescreen.
- London is the chief city of Airstrip One.
- The official language of Oceania is Newspeak.
- The three slogans of the Party are “WAR IS PEACE,” “FREEDOM IS SLAVERY,” and “IGNORANCE IS FREEDOM.”
- The four Ministries are the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue), the Ministry of Peace (Minipax), the Ministry of Love (Miniluv), and the Ministry of Plenty (Miniplenty).
- Emmanuel Goldstein is featured in every Two Minutes Hate.
- Oceania is intermittently at war with Eurasia and Eastasia.
- Winston writes “DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER.”
- The “essential crime” is thoughtcrime.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support