Can I have help with the following teaching assignment? Select a children's book that has an intriguing storyline and/or verbal imagery. Guide students to choose instruments and expressive...
Can I have help with the following teaching assignment? Select a children's book that has an intriguing storyline and/or verbal imagery. Guide students to choose instruments and expressive performance practices to portray different elements in the storyline. Choose from
- Denise Fleming, In the Tall, Tall Grass, Henry Holt and Company, 1991
- Denise Fleming, In the Small, Small Pond, Henry Holt and Company, 1993
- Denise Fleming, Barnyard Banter, Henry Holt and Company, 1994
- Jim Aylesworth, The Completed Hickory, Dickory, Dock, Atheneum, 1990
- Jim Aylesworth, Old Black Fly, Henry Holt and Company, 1992
- Gail Jorgensen, Crocodile Beat, Aladdin Paperbacks, 1994
- Rebecca Emberley, City Sounds, Little, Brown,1989
- John Burningham, Jangle Twang, Viking Press, 1985
My choice would be In the Tall, Tall Grass by Denise Fleming. The book has the reader follow a caterpillar through the tall grass where he sees and hears many creatures. The idea of the assignment is for you to help your students pick out instruments or ways to make the sounds and rhythm of the book come alive. The book uses alliteration like dip, dart for the hummingbird, rhyme for the caterpillar in the words "crunch, munch", and the illustrations provide all the visual imagery a child would need to accompany the images of ants pulling and tugging, snakes gliding, and then saying good night. I can see you using sticks for children to click together, a few children doing the humming for the bees, or having other students crunching on raw carrots for the munching of caterpillars. Use your imagination and create instruments out of everyday objects such as the carrots to create the sounds. Then put it together like a play and the band to accompany the story. Good luck on a great assignment.