If you violated on probation, don't accept a plea, and found guilty at trial, can they sentence you according to the original charge? Or is this double jeopardy

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

In order to give you any kind of accurate answer, we would need more information.  A violation of probation is the violation of a set of conditions set forth by the court.  A person was found guilty of the crime, and given probation instead of a jail sentence.  This means the person must meet certain criteria for behavior until the probation period ends.  Violating that probation in most cases results in a person being resentenced, as the contract of the sentence has been broken.  I can't apply this to your example without more information, but on the surface, it does not sound like double jeopardy.

Approved by eNotes Editorial Team

We’ll help your grades soar

Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.

  • 30,000+ book summaries
  • 20% study tools discount
  • Ad-free content
  • PDF downloads
  • 300,000+ answers
  • 5-star customer support
Start your 48-Hour Free Trial