In the video-game world, to take on EA and AB means that you have already
- analyzed your demographics (who are your customers)
- gathered data on which gaming style they prefer
- made the product available in various gaming platforms
- made the graphics 100% compatible
- prepared a focus group that you will work with to spread the word.
The focus group will be the most important step. This is the sample population that you will use to test your product, to rate it, and to spread the much-needed word-to-mouth reputation that you want with gaming. No matter how good your product is, or how well-promoted it is, the users will ultimately have the final answer. Therefore, one focus group of about 5 people can then grow into 10, and then the first two teams can gather more people to make the gamers grow.
After you have your name "in", move toward actually paying for promotion. Don't forget that one of the reasons why AB became bigger than EA is because of making the gamers' money worth, so offer at first perks and bonus options included in the price. Most of all, continuously test the market, research trends, and set up a good pool of insiders that can update you on what is the next big thing coming.