1. What is the x-intercept of the perpendicular line?
2. What is the equation in standard from of a parallel line that passes through(0,2)?
3. On the parallel line find the ordered pair where x=-2.
Please draw the graph of 1 as q, 2 & 3 as l&m. Describe the relationships between 1&2. Please show me the calculations of all.
1 Answer | Add Yours
The slope of this line is -4, therefore the slope of the line perpendicular to this is `1/4` .
1) We cannot find the x-intercept of the perpendicular line unless we are told a point that the perpendicular line passes through.
2) The parallel line has slope of -4 and passes through the point (0, 2)
The equation in slope-intercept form, y=mx + b would be: y=-4x+2. In standard form, ax+by=c, the equation is 4x+y = 2, by adding 4x to both sides.
3) Find the ordered pair when x = -2.
Substitute -2 for x into the equation 4x+y=2
`4(-2)+y = 2`
`-8 + y = 2=> y = 10`
3. )The ordered pair would be (-2, 10).
The relationship between 1 and 2 is that the lines are perpendicular as their slopes are opposite reciprocals.
Can't graph #1 as don't have a point at which the perpendicular line passes through. Will draw the graph as passing through (0,0)
#3 is not a line, as it is an ordered pair.
We’ve answered 318,983 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question