Why do we get an electric shock when we touch neutral wire?

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

A proper electrical wiring (typically) includes, hot or live wire, neutral or common wire and a ground wire. In a connected (or complete) electrical circuit, the current flows from the source to the device, through live wire, and back to the source through the neutral wire. For safety purposes, we connect the neutral wire to the ground wire. Thus, even though the neutral wire carries current, it is at zero (or very small) potential difference from the ground and hence should not cause any electrical shock due to any accidental exposure. 

The reason for electric shock upon touching neutral wire, is possible break in the wire or improper grounding. Such a scenario can be very dangerous as the electricity will flow through our body and can even cause death. It is not advisable to touch the neutral wire, without proper training and equipment to ensure safety of human beings. 

 

Hope this helps. 

Approved by eNotes Editorial Team

We’ll help your grades soar

Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.

  • 30,000+ book summaries
  • 20% study tools discount
  • Ad-free content
  • PDF downloads
  • 300,000+ answers
  • 5-star customer support
Start your 48-Hour Free Trial