Why it is necessary for a language teacher to have a good grounding in linguistics?
It is imperative for a language teacher to have a good grounding in linguistics because linguistics is the scientific study of language in terms of
- a) how it is learned
- b) how it is applied academically and socially
- c) its relationship to cultural behaviors
- d) its connection to literacy
- e) its nonverbal system of communication
There is a lot much more that is covered in the field of linguistics, but notice how important it is to be content-grounded in order to be able to teach the ways in which language can be used and applied. From the study of linguistics, other sub-fields branch out to include
- a: Applied Linguistics - explains the way in which language...
(The entire section contains 322 words.)
check Approved by eNotes Editorial