Why is it important to ensure we consume energy more efficiently?Why is it important to ensure we consume energy more efficiently?
It is important that we use more efficient methods to consume energy in order to protect the environment. There are many ways that we can do this. A home owner can do this by adding solar panels to their house. In addition, many people get their energy via hydroelectricity and wind energy. These are much better alternatives than using coal.
If energy is not conserved, there will soon be insufficient supplies for the world, and pollution will be such a problem that trees and other vegetation will die. The entire balance of nature will, then, be endangered. The old adage, "Waste not, want not" is appropriate when thinking of the usage of forms of energy.
One very obvious reason for using the energy efficiently is the cost consideration. Generating energy costs money. Inefficient use of energy means that greater cost need to be incurred by an individual or an organization using energy inefficiently. In addition there are many other benefits of using energy inefficiently. These are discussed below.
- In most of the cases inefficient use of energy is associated with poor performance of the equipment using the energy. For example a car that uses more fuel per kilometer is also likely to have poor performance in many other aspects such as being noisy, getting heated up easily, and lower speed and acceleration capability.
- Equipment that use energy in efficiently are also likely to have higher wear and tear and are likely to breakdown more frequently.
- Similarly, inefficient equipment are likely to have lower useful life as compared to more efficient equipments.
- In efficient use of energy also involves greater pollution of the environment. This affects the people involved in the process directly as well as the entire humanity by effects like global warming.
- The available world reserves of fossil fuel, which accounts for the major source of all energy, is limited and is likely to be completely depleted in foreseeable future. Inefficient use of energy, speeds up this process of depletion of reserves of fossil fuels in the world.