There are eight characters who are invited to the mansion that exists on Indian Island. Additionally, the story includes the housekeeping couple who caretake the property. The eight characters are invited to Indian Island are Phillip Lombard, Justice Lawrence Wargrave, Emily Brent, Anthony Marston, General John McArthur, William Blore, Dr. Edward Armstrong, and Vera Claythorne. Ethel Rogers and Thomas Rogers are the couple who are the housekeepers of the isolated mansion.
Ethel Rogers and Thomas Rogers are accused of murdering their elderly employer, Jennifer Brady, by intentionally withholding her medicine that she needed to survive.
The Rogers hoped to steal Brady's immense wealth after her death.
Phillip Lombard readily admits to willingly leaving 21 men from an East African village to starve to death after he hoarded all the food for himself and his friend.
Justice Lawrence Wargrave is a typical judge who enjoys enacting punishment against others, specifically the death sentence. He is accused of coercing a jury to unjustly convict a man who was accused of murder.
Emily Brent is accused of causing her former maid, Beatrice, of committing suicide by firing her after finding out that Beatrice is due to have a child out of wedlock.
Tony Marston is accused of causing the deaths of two young people after recklessly driving and hitting them.
General John McArthur became jealous of a fellow officer who was in love with McArthur's wife and sent him on a mission that he knew would result in his death.
William Blore, who was previously a cop, is accused of arranging for an innocent man to be sent to prison for life.
Dr. Edward Armstrong is accused of malpractice after performing surgery on Louisa Clees while drunk, which caused her death.
Vera Claythorne is accused of maliciously allowing a boy to drown to death because she hoped to marry his uncle and inherit the dead child's fortune.
The guests invited to Indian Island are:
1. Justice Lawrence Wargrave -Justice Wargrave was known for for giving out the death penalty pretty freely. He was accused of unfairly convincing a jury to convict Edward Seton of murder when there was limited evidence.
2. Vera Claythorne -She was the former governess to Cyril Hamilton. She was responsible for allowing him to swim out to sea and drown because she hoped that his Uncle Hugo Hamilton would marry her after he inherited Cyril's fortune.
3. Phillip Lombard -Lomard stole food from an African tribe, causing them to starve to death.
4. Emily Brent - Brent was a very strict religious woman who dismissed her maid, Beatrice Taylor, because she was pregnant and unmarried. Because of this, Beatrice committed suicide by throwing herself into the river.
5. General John MacArthur - MacArthur was a jealous husband. He assigned a suicide mission to his wife's lover, Arthur Richmond.
6. Dr. Edward Armstrong -Armstrong was a surgeon who operated while intoxicated, causing the death of Louisa Clees.
7. Anthony Marston - Marston like to drive fast. He ran over and killed two children
8. William Blore - Blore was a former police inspector, turned private detective. After being bribed, he was responsible for James Lander being sentenced to life in prison even though he was an innocent man.
9. Ethel Rogers - Helped her husband, Thomas, kill her employer, Jennifer Brady, by not giving her the medication she needed so that they could inherit money
10. Thomas Rogers - An overbearing man who dominated his wife, Ethel, and caused Jennifer Brady to succomb to heart failure by withholding her medication.