Which are the curiosities about giraffes?
The tallest living animal on land is the giraffe. It is 5.5 meters tall while its shoulders stand at a height of 2.5 meters. Some facts about the Giraffes are as follows:
. An adult male giraffe is called a bull, a female is called a cow and a young giraffe a calf.
. A new born giraffe measures about 6 feet.
. A giraffe is one of the animals who is born with a horn.
. A giraffes age can be calculated from its spots, as the darker the spots, the older the giraffe.
. A giraffe's heart is 24 pounds in weight and 2 feet in length.
.Giraffes can survive for long periods without consuming water.
. The tongue of an adult giraffe measures 27".
. Giraffes sleep for no more than 5 to 30 minutes in 24 hours.
Giraffes are herbivorous animals that live in Africa in a grassland region of Sahara desert. Their most characteristic features are their long legs and neck. This makes them the tallest animals in the world. With maximum height of about 5.5 meters they are nearly 1.5 meters taller than elephants, their nearest contender in this respect. Yet giraffes are not very heavy with average weight of about 1200 kilograms they weigh just about one-fifth of an adult male African elephant.
Another distinct feature of giraffes is the patterns on its coat with pitch like markings of light brownish yellow to chestnut brown colour, which are separated by lighter tawny or white coloured lines. This colour pattern of coat provides giraffe with a good camouflage among trees.
Two bony horns covered by skin and hair grow out of giraffe's skull. But these are not real horns.
Giraffes is well adapted to live in sandy and semiarid region. It can go without water for many weeks, and can close its nostrils to keep out sand and dust.
It has a long upper lip, which it uses to gather food from tree branches.
A female giraffes carries her young inside her body for about 15 months before giving birth.
The Giraffe has always been viewed as somewhat of an oddity in the animal kingdom. Some facts about the unusual creature are:
1) Their neck is very long but they have the same amount of vertebrae as humans have in their necks, seven.
2) The feet of a giraffe are as wide as the average dinner plates. They span twelve inches across.
3) Its tongue is bluish black and can grow up to 18 to 20 inches long.
4) They communicate by mooing, hissing, roaring, and whistling.
5) The fastest speed of one recorded was 34.7 miles per hour.
6) They hunt in packs.
7) Giraffes have the longest tail of any land mammal. It can grow up to eight feet long.
Here it is what I found and I could name them as curiosities about giraffes:
1. Heart of an adult giraffe weighs no less than 10 kg.
2. A giraffe can last longer without water than a camel can withstand.
3. An adult giraffe's neck weighs about 226 kg.
4. Giraffe is the highest mammal in the world.
5. The tongue of the giraffe is black.
6. The heart of a giraffe, in a minute,is pumping 600 liters of blood.
7. The strike of an adult giraffe is so strong that it can decapitate a lion.
8. Giraffes are cleaning their ears with their tongue, that has a length of 53cm.