1 Answer | Add Yours
Conditional knockout is a genetic engineering technique that allows targeted removal of specific gene from a particular organ. This is in contrast to traditional gene knockout technique where the gene is knocked out from the entire body.
The various advantages of conditional knockout technique are:
- traditional gene knockout technique based mice exhibit embryonic and early postnatal fatality. This deficiency can be overcome by using conditional knockout method.
- the gene function in a particular tissue or cell type can be examined at any given time point
- chromosomal abnormalities that cause human diseases can be studied using mice prepared by conditional knockout method.
- It has also been suggested that mice prepared with conditional knockout technique have longer life span, as compared to lines prepared by conventional technique.
- commercially prepared mouse lines save time and effort in the lab.
We’ve answered 319,644 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question