Reference Questions and Answers

Start Your Free Trial

What is the word for shocked and overwhelmed?

Expert Answers info

wordprof eNotes educator | Certified Educator

calendarEducator since 2011

write1,654 answers

starTop subjects are Literature, History, and Science

Several near-synonyms are available, each with its own connotation and degree of formality: flabbergasted, floored, knocked over, bamboozled, etc.  The closest might be "stunned" because it implied the "shocked" aspect.  But the underlying meaning -- to be physically overpowered by an abstract or mental assault, causing temporary paralysis or inability to act -- is best captured in the phrase "knocked off my feet."  This phrase reflects the "floored" aspect of the question.  Remember Donald Hall's admonition:  "The definition of a word is another word."  In the terms of the linguists, the signifier and the signified will always have some distance between them.

check Approved by eNotes Editorial