What were some rules that were in Chapters 3 and 4 in The Giver?
dymatsuoka | Certified Educator
Some of the rules that are discussed in these chapters include:
- Females under age nine are to keep their hair ribbons neatly tied at all times.
- Objects are not to be removed from the recreation area, including food, which is to be eaten, not hoarded.
- Birthmothers must bear newchildren for three years. They are never allowed to see the newchildren to whom they give birth. After their three years are done, they are to work at hard physical labor until they are old (Chapter 3).
- Children in the Community must perform volunteer hours from the ages of Eight to Twelve. They may choose where to do these hours.
- Bragging and rudeness are not allowed. Infractions against these rules are punishable by chastisement. It is considered rude to call attention to things that are different or unusual about individuals.
- Children and adults are not allowed to look at another's nakedness. This rule is not applicable to the newchildren or the Old.
- Children are not allowed to attend Ceremonies of Release; they are not allowed to be present in the Releasing Room when someone is being Released (Chapter 4).