What were some of Florence Kelley's main achievements?
pohnpei397 | Certified Educator
Florence Kelley was best known for her work in trying to improve working conditions and protect the rights of workers back in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Among her main achievements were:
- She translated a book by Friedrich Engels (who cowrote the "Communist Manifesto" with Karl Marx) into English. The book was The Conditions of the Working-class in England in 1844.
- She was an inspector in charge of monitoring working conditions in factories in Illinois.
- She conducted major sociological research among the poor people of Chicago.
- She was the head of the National Consumers' League -- an organization dedicated to protecting the rights of women and children workers.
- She convinced the Illinois legislature to limit women's work days to 8 hours.
Please follow the links for more.