In Amy Tan's novel The Joy Luck Club, what are the themes, the tones, and the narrative styles of the chapter titled "The Voice from the Wall"?
In Amy Tan’s novel The Joy Luck Club, the chapter titled “The Voice from the Wall” is narrated by Lena St. Clair. Some of the themes, tones, and narrative styles of the chapter might be described as follows:
- Relations between mothers and daughters.
- The complicated relations between peoples of different cultures and generations.
- Superstition and mystery.
- Interracial marriage.
- Multicultural living conditions, as in the diverse names of the people who inhabit one apartment building.
- Humor, as in the opening two sentences of the chapter:
When I was little, my mother told me my great-grandfather had sentenced a beggar to die in the...
(The entire section contains 326 words.)
check Approved by eNotes Editorial