1. Jonas has dinner with his family, and they all tell each other their feelings of the day.
2. Jonas's father brings home Gabriel for the first time.
3. Jonas goes to the House of Old. He listens to Larissa describe the release ceremony for a man named Roberto.
4. Jonas feels the "Stirrings," and he begins taking pills to suppress them.
5. Jonas attends the Ceremony of Twelve and becomes the next Receiver.
6. Jonas meets The Giver. He receives his first memory. It is the memory of sledding down a hill in the snow. He also receives a painful memory. The memory is of a sunburn.
7. Jonas begins to see color.
8. Jonas learns about the previous Receiver and her release.
9. Jonas receives memories of warfare.
10. Jonas learns what "releasing" actually is.
11. (Bonus) Jonas and Gabriel run away.